Tuesday 1 January 2013

DisFunctional In The New Year

Goodbye 2012! Now that we can safely put last year behind us it is time to focus on the new year. Starting a new year is both a relief and stressful. Since last year went to shit what can I do differently to make sure this year is better? Luckily society has a solution to this problem, resolutions!

As a disFunctional there are many aspects of my life I should be actively trying to improve. Pretty much any resolution could apply. Work out, lose weight, drink less, eat vegetables, clean the house more often, be nicer, stop biting my nails, be less crazy, be happier, and so on. But we all know taking on too many changes at once can be overwhelming, especially for the type of person who is easily overwhelmed. I can't be the only person who has a panic attack at the grocery store when they are out of the "good" brand of peanut butter and I have to pick a different one. I don't like change!

But I recognize that change is necessary if I want to be a better person, or at least a less miserable person. But what to change? How can I find something to focus on when there are so many things that need done? If I feel overwhelmed trying to choose a resolution how on earth am I going to find the time and energy to focus on the one I choose? What if I choose wrong? Which is more important, working out or volunteering more? Eating better or spending time with family? What's a disFunctional to do?

Make  random resolutions throughout the year! I took two pickle jars, decorated them and put labels on them. I have a "In 2013 I Resolve To.." and a "Success" jar. I then wrote out my resolutions onto squares of paper, folded them, and put them in the resolution jar. I picked one at random and this will be my resolution for January.


Behold my beautifully decorated pickle jars!

Now there is no fear of picking the wrong resolution because all of my resolutions will be random. Now I just have to focus on changing one thing at a time, and by this time next year I will be a much better person. I hope. Maybe. Ugh.

Anyway the first resolution I picked was to "Learn to cook new dishes and eat less crappy food" I think this is a good place to start. I know it will do me good to eat less junk food and I like to cook but never seem to take the time to do it. Now I have to because the resolution jar told me to! Does that make me sound crazy? The pickle jar told me too...

No comments:

Post a Comment