Sunday 13 January 2013

Pinterest I hate you, but love you so!

I have been spending entirely too much time on Pinterest lately. I'm having a bit of a love hate relationship with it though. I love the cute craft ideas, the inspirational quotes, humor, and recipes  I even love the fitness advice to a point. It can be a huge inspiration, but also a reminder of my own shortcomings. Because of the random way pins seem to pop up I get some useful pins, and some less useful ones. I get easy crafts, and asinine, time consuming and expensive ones. I get yummy recipes,  flops, and foods that trigger unhealthy ideas. I get advice on good running shoes or gear, and thinspo, which makes me feel like a failure.

Pinterest makes me feel inspired, excited, angry and despaired all at the same time. I was worrying that this overload might be bad for my fragile state of mind but then I had a realization. I can handle it. If I can manage to get out of bed every day and go to work and appear to be a productive member of society that I can ignore annoying crap on the internet. We all deal with a bombardment of advertisements, media and other peoples problems every day. I can handle seeing a cheesecake I really want, or a girl a third my size posting insane fitness tips. I am strong enough now to filter out the crap, and focus on the helpful. Like cucumber salad, so good! Or this cheesecake, OMG!

My goal for the month has been trying to cook more, and healthier, and I have been doing pretty well. Many of the new recipes I have tried are from Pinterest, so I do have to deal with all of the other crap too. But I don't think I will be deleting my account because of the bullshit. I have given far to much of my time and energy to negativity. I am going to focus on the good. And there is a lot of good on Pinterest. It's just a matter of who you follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment